Wednesday, May 18, 2011

There are no words

How to write about the "Greatest Trip Ever" seems impossible.  My goal is for any who read this to sense how extremely happy I was bouncing around on very bumpy roads and once in awhile on a paved road.  Rich was the perfect travel companion as he never seemed to think that there was any off the road drive that would be too much for me - I am so grateful that he didn't coddle me.  Thus I saw such interesting sites.  If I can manage to get pictures added to this you will get a sense of the incredible beauty of some areas and the fascination of other areas.
I attempted to keep a list of wild and not so animals that we saw.  The numbers were far less than we had expected but here goes.  In the 'we saw one catagory" are an antelope, a deer, a Western Burrowing Owl, a desert tortoise, the back half of a coyote (it was entering a cave), 4 wild horses, 4 burros(small donkeys), lots of lizards, rabbits and ground squirrels, 3 chickens and possibly a vampire chicken and a F16 Fighter Jet.  I will add that Rich helped in identifying some of these creatures.  Oh, yes, Rich saw a "very fast" rattle snake.  We also saw one enormous windfarm blade being hauled through Beattie.
I am trying to figure out what was the best of the bests and it seems impossible.  One highpoint was coming across the Emigrant Pass Road - this was East of the White Mountains - the multicolored hill sides were so beautiful.  The drive in heavy snowfall as we headed to Bishop - and on 80 as we headed home.  Probably Titus Canyon was the most amazing.  It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to drive the 16 miles to reach the canyon and 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete the 8 miles actually through the canyon.  It is impossible to describe Titus Canyon - I can only advise that you put it on your list of future trips.  Unfortunately, my camera stopped taking pictures midway.  I was disappointed in Death Valley as I expected to see a valley filled with all kinds of cacti - not!
Oh, I almost forgot the music - especially Rich's beloved music from "American Idiot".  I cannot say that I really enjoyed it but I am glad that I heard it once! 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful! I especially like the list of animals. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also - blog title suggestions - "Gramcie's Brillishness"? - "Gramcie's Fooliant"?

    As you can tell, I haven't thought up any good title ideas either.

    ReplyDelete